Wednesday 23 October 2013

Solutions for sleep problems... That Actually work!

Hellooooooo!

So suffering from anxiety caused me to have insomnia... which isn't a nice experience! If you're unfamiliar with what insomnia is, it is difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep for long enough to feel refreshed the next morning, even though you've had enough opportunity to sleep. Professionals actually say that women suffer more! Probably because we stress out more! But anyway, I thought I would write a list of some things that actually help me sleep!

1) YOUTUBE! I can't explain enough how much youtube has helped me sleep! All you have to do is type in "Relaxation for sleep" or "Relaxing Sounds" etc.... Now it takes a fair bit of researching to find what sends you off to sleep. Now for me, it's relaxing voices whispering or softly speaking; so I did research on Youtube and found some people who make whisper videos and I can honestly say - WHAT THE HELL HAVE I BEEN DOING WITH THE REST OF MY LIFE?! It's got to a point where I listen to them every night in bed! I generally think it's an addiction.... Whoops! All I do is put on the video, put my headphones in and tuck my Ipod or Phone under my pillow and it sends me right off to sleep! Anyway, there is one whisperer on Youtube who I love and listen to all the time! She is amazing and has THE most relaxing voice ever! She originally lived in Russia for most of her life but moved to the USA when she was like 19 or something so she has a slight American accent! It's so amazing and soothing! Anyway she is called Maria, but her youtube is GentleWhispering and this is her; https://www.youtube.com/user/GentleWhispering?feature=g-high-u


2) Air your bed in the morning and open the window! Keep the duvet cover back for as long as possible throughout the day so that when it comes to getting into bed at night; the bed sheets should be nice and cold!! You're probably thinking... "Ermmmm who wants cold bed sheets?" My answer to you my friend is "YOU!" you will want cold sheets! This is because when you get into the bed, the cold sheets will instantly make you feel like you need to snuggle up and get into a comfortable position. Clever I know! If the bed sheets are warm, then you will get into bed and feel more uncomfortable and groggy!

3) This may sound pretty self explanatory but.... go to bed at a reasonable time! Honestly I used to get annoyed at my parents saying that but since I started going to bed a bit earlier, I've been getting such a better night sleep! Even if it's just half and hour earlier or 20 minutes! So I used to get into bed at about 10:30/10:40 but now I'm in bed by either 10:00/10:15. Every little counts :)

4) Eliminate stress before bed! I always used to watch the 10 O'clock news before bed and I started realising that it was stressing me out before bed and I was like "This has got to stop" so I stopped watching it and now I feel so much less stressed! No one wants to be thinking about possible outbreaks of World war 3 before drifting off to sleep! You know how current affairs are.... :/

5) Don't go to sleep angry! There have been many times when I've gone to sleep at about 3am because I've been dwelling on an argument between me and my parents, relationships or friends etc. so don't go to sleep angry because there is a 99.9% chance that your brain will start over analysing everything. Plus, you're more likely to wake up in a bad mood as well... not good :S

So those are my top tips for getting a good night sleep!!
Insomnia's a bitch and I can empathise with anyone who is battling it at the moment. Keep working at it and hopefully it'll pass and sweet dreams will come your way!

Good Luck
Good Night
Sweet Dreams

Lucy xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment